Congratulations to the Student Nurse Externs 2015!
Please watch for the information on 2016 program application process in late October 2015. Thank you!
This program is only for students in the BSN track who ARE NOT currently RNs. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website at our hospital.
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems. The program consists of nine weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows BSN students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated in the first week. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (approximately 360 total hours of clinical work).
UMICH students: NO Outlook access till the academic year (Fall 2015-WInter 2016).
Due by July 24, 2015, 3PM Eastern Standard Time!
Complete your remaining weekly notes (externs)
Remind preceptors to complete their evaluation forms (preceptors)
- Remind preceptors to wrap up their weekly notes (preceptors)
Helpful Links and Phone Numbers
- Occupational Heatlh (MHealthy): 734-764-8021
- KEY ID office: 734-763-6376
- University of Michigan Parking office: 734-764-8291; email Parking Services: email@example.com
- Parking FAQ
- MCIT ( UH technical support including level 1 and 2 password reset): 734-936-8000 (on campus or UH please dial 6-8000)
- Payroll for check and tax questions: 734-615-2000 or 5-2000 on campus. Choose Option 2
- UMHS Paging services: 936-4000 - paging operator assistance
- MLearning: 734-615-5146
- UM Campus Information Center
- Housing Information (short term)
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority Bus System
- Prospective externs: Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N-BC., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education