Congratulations on the successful hire of your new colleague! Accepting the offer to join Michigan Medicine was likely a big decision for your new employee. These next few days or weeks leading up to the new employee’s arrival are critical to building a positive impression and lasting relationship. To promote a great start, prior to the new hires or transferring employee’s arrival consider the following actions:
- Call and welcome your new employee to the team
- Ensure your employee knows the time and location of New Employee Orientation (NEO)
- Ensure your employee knows when and where to report to the department
- Send your new employee a departmental welcome letter after official HR welcom letter
- Provide an overview of parking with tips
- Select a mentor/trainer
- Discuss the employee’s role, set goals for your new employee
- Work closely with the new employee to become familiar with organization, facilities etc.
- Email your team and relevant departments to announce the arrival of your employee.
- Include start date, role, and professional bio as appropriate
- Ensure their workplace is set up, clean, organized with adequate supplies
- Order nameplate or business cards, if necessary
- Request any access that is needed
- Register employee for job specific training
- Gather information (web sites/paper) to provide to employee, may include org charts, hospital maps, unit Mission, Vision and Values, job description, etc.
- Consider a welcome gift, (coffee mug, U-M picture frame, pen, professional notebook, flowers,etc.)
- Review the Michigan Medicine pre-hire preparation document.