Managing Candidate Paperwork and Selection Process
The following steps occur after you have posted the position, developed selection criteria, and received an acceptable number of applicants:
- Screen resumes: this section will guide you as you review resumes and compare candidates to selection criteria. It also describes the Health System Pre-Employment program (PEP), where Health System human resource professionals screen all external applicants applying for any office, service maintenance, and allied health-technical position.
- Identify top candidates to interview.
- Carefully consider the University's commitments to Affirmative Action and Reduction-In-Force, as well as the over-arching commitment to hire the "Best Qualified" candidate for a position.
- Verify background and qualifications: Review employee files for top internal candidates, and check references for top external candidates.
- Select the top candidate.
- Complete the Candidate Summary Form (CSF) available online. Your Human Resource Service Center will also send you a copy of this form upon request. Send the completed CSF to the Human Resources Service Center before making the offer.
- Discuss as needed with your Human Resource Representative and receive authorization to make position offer.
After the Offer is Accepted or Rejected
- When the results of the offer are known, establish an effective date and tell your Human Resource Representative the results. The Representative needs to know both acceptances and rejections.
- Update the status (DOC) of the opening.
- Send rejection letters to all candidates not chosen.
- Employee Health Service: After the employee has accepted the offer, he or she needs to contact the Employee Health Service at 724-764-8021 to schedule a health screening. This assessment will not affect the offer, but will identify any job safety issues.
- I-9 Forms (PDF): All employees are required to fill out I-9 forms, which determine their employment eligibility per the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services.