Identify the Source of the Problem
Don't always assume the source of the problem is the employee. Supervisors should ask themselves the following questions:
- Is there an attitude problem and a willful disregard of work rules?
- Is it an inability to perform duties?
- If so, what is the reason for this inability?
- Is poor job design a contributing factor?
- Is additional training necessary?
- Is the employee aware of workplace rules?
Remember, you have invested a lot of time and effort to successfully retain employees! Do your best to properly select and manage your people so that there are no discipline problems. COMMUNICATE!