First Month within the Department
It is crucial that your new Employee learns the unit/department culture in the first month of their new role. This will help them to transition and learn early on what to expect. This will help them to communicate and establish relationships with their co-workers easier as well. To help your new Employee invest in your unit/department culture, consider the following:
- Review and discuss unit/department long-term goals and priorities
- Reveiw and discuss Unit/department Culture
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Describe to your new employee how their role interacts with or depends on other roles within the department.
- Discuss expectations around collaboration and communication between colleagues and customers or partners.
- Explain other teams within, or outside your department that your employee may interface with.
- Discuss commonly used communication methods.
- Culture of excellence
- Keep current on skills and abilities
- Professional developmental opportunities
- Leader/Employee Style
- Discuss your leadership and communication style
- Understand employee’s style
- Discuss style impact on work and relationship