Developing Selection Criteria
Selection criteria are a necessary and critical tool in the faculty/staff selection process. Their primary function is to guide the hiring supervisor in determining which set of candidates meet the qualifications for the posted position.
Selection criteria should be:
- Established before a position is advertised or posted
- Clearly defined and relevant to the position
- Used to evaluate applicants for the position
- Easy to use when evaluating candidates
- Understandable and defensible
- Aligned with the department's needs
Successful candidates should be those clearly possessing the prerequisite skills and the strongest combination of strengths and the emphasis in screening applications should be on demonstrated performance.