Skip Navigation

Leaves of Absence

For what reason may I request a leave of absence from my current job?

The University/Health System offers a variety of unpaid leaves of absence to accommodate the needs of the staff. Approval for leaves of absence must be obtained from the staff member’s supervisor and from the appropriate Human Resources Department. Final approval or denial of a leave of absence request is the responsibility of the Human Resources Department. Staff members must provide advance notice of request for leaves of absence to their supervisors.

Leaves of absence are granted for the following reasons:

Childcare Leave of Absence: available for both female and male staff members following the birth of the staff member’s child or following the adoption of a child who is under the age of six. The duration of the initial childcare leave of absence is six months. This leave may be extended for a maximum duration up to one year from the date of birth or adoption.

Disability: The University/Health System provides a Long Term Disability program so that monthly income and other benefits may be continued for totally disabled eligible staff members and is administered by the Benefits Office.

Disability is defined as the complete inability, by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment, to engage in any occupation or employment for wage or profit for which the staff member is reasonably fitted by education, training, or experience. The impairment must be expected to result in death or have lasted, or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve (12) months from the staff member’s last day of work. Such disability shall not be caused by engaging in any criminal act or intentionally self-inflicted injury or illness, nor shall any benefit be payable while in prison or jail. The maximum duration shall not exceed the duration of the disability, or until age 65.

The Benefits Office 734-763-1214 or 734-764-6584 can provide additional information to you regarding the Basic & Long Term Disability Plans or refer to 203.01-0 Basic Long Term Disability Plan.pdf (332K) and 203.01-1 Expanded Long Term Disability Plan.pdf (38K)

Family Medical: is granted to staff members for the following reasons.

The duration of a family medical leave will not exceed twelve (12) weeks per year. The family medical leave allows for continuation of the staff member’s health benefits at their current cost providing the staff member has at least one year of continuous service. Those staff members without one year of continuous service are still eligible to take the twelve (12) weeks of leave, but will assume the total cost of their health benefits if they desire to continue their health care coverage.

Government Service: is available for staff members with at least one year of continuous service elected to a full-time public political office (except that of Michigan state legislator), or appointed to an office of a policy-making nature or one of significant responsibility such as head of or assistant to the head of an office, department, or branch of the federal, state, or local government. The initial duration of this leave is one term of office, or one year of government service. This leave can be renewed for additional terms of office, or years of government service.

Maternity: refer to medical leave of absence, or childcare leave of absence.

Medical: available to staff members unable to work because of a personal illness or injury, or disability related to pregnancy only after exhausting all PTO/sick/vacation time. The initial leave may not exceed six (6) months, but may be renewed for up to two (2) years by providing medical documentation of the continued illness/injury.

Medical/Childcare: available to staff members unable to work because of pregnancy, and only after PTO/sick/vacation time is exhausted, and the staff member desires to remain off work following the birth of the child. The initial leave may not exceed nine (9) months but may be extended up to one year from the date of birth.

Pregnancy: refer to medical leave of absence, or childcare leave of absence.

Educational: is granted at the University’s/Health System’s discretion only. Is available to staff members with at least one year of continuous service undertaking a full-time (10 or more credit hours), accredited educational program that is directly related to the current position or to positions to which staff members may reasonably aspire within the University; and whose program is to be completed within four continuous years. The maximum duration of the initial leave can not exceed one year, but can be renewed annually up to four years.

Personal: is granted at the University’s/Health System’s discretion and only if the staff member’s department guarantees a return to the same position or one of like status and pay. The maximum duration of a personal leave will not exceed one year.

Additional detailed information on leaves of absence can be obtained by referring to SPG 201.30 (link), by referring to the labor agreement for your job, or by contacting the Health System’s Human Resources Department at 734-647-5538.

You may also want to contact the Benefits Office for questions or concerns relative to your health care coverage(s), and/or your retirement contributions. You can contact the Benefits Office at 734-764-6584 or 734-764-1214.

Back to F.A.Q. index


Locator Assistance


I need to reach a member of the University of Michigan Health Systems staff. How can I contact them?

You should direct your inquiry to the Health System’s Directory Assistance office at 734-936-4000.

Back to F.A.Q. index


How do I locate a patient in your facility?

Please direct your inquiry to the Health System’s Directory Assistance office at 734-936-4000.

Back to F.A.Q. index


Career Development/Professional Growth


Does the University/Health System provide in-house training programs to enhance my skills and/or job performance?

Yes. The University of Michigan recognizes that people are our most important resource for sustaining excellence in teaching, research, and service. The University is committed to supporting ongoing staff development for any staff member.

The University’s goal is for all staff members to make the maximum contribution to their departments, while having opportunities to develop their talents, to acquire and use new skills and knowledge, and to achieve greater career effectiveness and satisfaction. Career development opportunities include mentoring as well as informal and formal training.

The office of Learning & Professional Development offers a wide variety of courses to enhance and develop your skills and abilities. You can contact them at 734-764-7410 or visit their Web site:

Information Technology Services (ITS) also offers courses designed to enhance and develop computer technology skills. You can contact ITS at 734-764-4357 or visit their Web site for the latest course offerings.

Back to F.A.Q. index