To promote the health and well-being of patients across the lifespan, families, and communities. This will be accomplished in collaboration with our internal and external partners through clinical care, leadership, advocacy, teaching, education, research, and community services.
Best people: Recruitment and retention of a diverse staff, providing excellence in clinical practice, and employer of choice among social work professionals
Innovative partnerships: Groundbreaking social work programs, collaborations and staffing models which optimize patient care
Rich work environment: A leadership structure and supervision model which supports continued professional growth and clinical development of all staff
Shared with our Profession:
- Social justice
- Dignity and worth
- Importance of human relationships
Shared with our Institution:
Social work Guiding Principles
These principles exemplify the values of diversity, social justice, dignity and worth, importance of human relationships and the values of UMHS: respect, compassion, trust, integrity, efficiency and leadership. Our principles guide what we do, why we do it, and how we do it.
1. Integration, Collaboration, Teamwork, Community
We share and advance professional social work values and practice through integration, collaboration and teamwork across our entire campus and into the community.
2. Patient and Family-Centered Care
We are leaders in creating an environment that embraces the philosophy of Patient and Family-Centered Care including the core concepts of dignity and respect, communication, participation and collaboration.
3. Innovation and Adapting to Change
We focus upon innovation that makes us leaders in clinical care, community involvement, education of trainees, and research.
4. Growth and Investment
We pursue broad based growth in clinical services, education, and research related to organizational priorities.
5. Taking Care of Our Own
We take care of our own staff, patients and families, and community. We promote a healthy, safe and satisfied workforce and strive to improve access to care for patients referred for all services.
6. Cultural Competency
We are leaders in advancing respect and appreciation for diversity in those we serve and throughout the organization. We believe that diversity of people and ideas are the means to innovation and improved health outcomes.
7. High Value and Quality
We consistently provide high quality service to patients, families, trainees, our community partners and other stakeholders.
8. Integrity and Trust
We promote trust through respect for ourselves and all others. We advance integrity in all dimensions of service and effort across the health system. We honor confidentiality, comply with all Health System policies and procedures, state and federal laws and regulations. We uphold and model the NASW professional code of ethics.
- To conduct psychosocial assessments, as indicated
- To counsel patients and families in order to help them cope with the impact of illness and disability
- To contribute to the health care team's understanding of the psychosocial aspects of patients’ lives and the impact it has on the etiology of each patient’s illness, response to hospitalization and compliance with medical recommendations
- To provide psychosocial consultation in U-M hospitals and health centers, and out in the community, as appropriate
- To serve as a liaison between the hospital and community health and welfare agencies
- To develop clinical education programs for social work employees and contribute to the education of other health care disciplines
- To contribute to the development of medical-social programs within the hospital and community
- To participate in research activities developed by others and develop independent research studies pertaining to the social aspects of health care
- To assist patients and families with discharge planning
- To use knowledge regarding social systems and program requirements to advocate for patients and families in order to help them obtain resources they can’t access without professional assistance