The Media Relations staff identifies and promotes the achievements of U-M Health System physicians and staff to the media, including cutting-edge findings in basic and clinical research, advances in patient care, developments in medical education and practices, advice on health and fitness, noteworthy events and administrative news. We are the front line for inquiries from local, national and international press, and serve as a liaison between U-M Health System personnel and the media. Specifically, we:
- Research and write news releases and tipsheets, which are always approved by the relevant
U-M Health System staff before distribution to media via fax, mail, e-mail and the web.
- Assist reporters in identifying and scheduling interviews with expert sources in the U-M Medical School, hospitals, Health Centers and administration.
- Coordinate the writing and production of the HealthMinute program, a package of written, video and audio materials geared toward the consumer that is distributed to print, television and radio outlets across Michigan and to selected regional and national news organizations.
- Guidance for UMHS staff on interacting with the media and PR staff.
- Offer expert advice in planning media strategy for major events and initiatives.
- Prepare U-M Health System staff for interactions with reporters, through informal or formal training.
- Provide video footage and photographs of U-M Health System to media outlets, as available.
- Assist visiting reporters and news crews, including escorting in U-M Health System faculities and facilitation of patient releases. Release forms.
- Serve as the clearinghouse for media inquiries on patient conditions and interview requests.
- Make presentations to U-M Health System staff about the value of publicity and how to work with the media.
- Prepare reports about news coverage of UMHS:
- Daily email of news clips (available to U-M faculty, staff and friends only – email email@example.com to ask to be added to the list)
- The “In the News” feed, a selective sampling of news coverage
- The monthly media report, a PDF of all news articles about UMHS
- As-needed reports on news coverage of selected topics and initiatives (email firstname.lastname@example.org )