Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy
- Acquire research or clinical experience
- Gain understanding of health disparities
- Explore health professional careers
- Participate in professional development seminars
At the end of the ten-weeks, the participants will have the opportunity to exhibit their research or clinical experience at a research symposium attended by faculty, staff and students at the University of Michigan. Approximately 15 -20 fellows participate in the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy.
In alignment with the mission of the Office for Health Equity & Inclusion (OHEI), the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy is committed to building a diverse workforce by exposing and preparing undergraduate students for careers in biomedical and health sciences. The academy provides a research or clinical experience to undergraduate students in order to advance their biomedical research and health professional career portfolio.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien
- Have a valid U.S. social security number
- Have completed their first year of college before enrolling in the program
- Attend an accredited college or university
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 and a minimum science GPA of 3.0.
- Be available full-time (32-40 hours) per week from June 1 to August 9.
Students may not take academic classes or be engaged in other activities that would prevent them from attending all training sessions and adhering to a regular daytime work schedule.
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following:
- Personal and academic accomplishments
- Successful completion of first-year biology and chemistry courses
- College grades
- A demonstrated interest in a career in medicine or biomedical research
- Demonstrated commitment to helping underserved populations
- Quality of academic recommendations
Students are only eligible to participate in Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy twice.
Stipends are $400.00 (before taxes) per week totaling $4,000 for 10-week period. Housing is included.
Sunday, June 1, 2014 to Saturday, August 9, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy (MHSURA). You must submit your completed application before midnight on February 1, 2014. We encourage applicants to apply early. Acceptance to the program is made on a rolling admission basis.
A completed application includes:
- Submitted online application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty, teaching assistant and/or counselor
- One letter of recommendation from Pre-Health/Academic advisor
- Official or unofficial transcript from your institution(s)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.