The Division and its affiliated faculty have had exciting growth in several areas of clinical research. Faculty have a broad range of clinical research interests. Key areas of intense research among division members are in
- clinical trials in mechanisms of hypertension and accelerated cardiovascular disease in chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease and renal transplantation
- clinical trials exploring effects of vitamin supplementation on vascular disease among patients with kidney disease
- kidney disease and hypertension in the African American population
Acute Renal Failure
- studies in survival of hospital patients with acute renal failure and examination of delivery of renal replacement therapies
- development of a bioartificial kidney now in a multi-center clinical trial
End-Stage Renal Disease, Dialysis, and Kidney Transplantation
- examination of various dialysis access techniques for hemodialysis therapy
- bioengineering and investigation of dialysis access with an emphasis on surveillance techniques
- access to kidney transplantation and renal transplant survival in the minority population
- clinical pharmacology of immunosuppressive medications
Faculty in the division are lead investigators and collaborators on recent NIH-sponsored multi-center clinical trials like the African American Study of Kidney Disease (AASK) and the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Study (CRIC). Many faculty conduct patient-oriented research in the General Clinical Research Center (GCRC), which has been continuously funded by the NIH for over 20 years.
Clinician scientists in the division have spear-headed collaborations with investigators regionally at Detroit Medical Center - Wayne State University, and St John Hospital as well as across the U.S and internationally.
Click here for information regarding clinical research opportunities.
The following faculty have a particular interest in clinical research:
|Cibrik, Diane M., M.D., M.S.
||Ojo, Akinlolu O., M.D., Ph.D.
|Gadegbeku, Crystal A., M.D.
||Perlman, Rachel L., M.D.
|Gikas, Paul W., M.D.
||Saran, Rajiv, M.B.B.S., M.D., D.T.C.D., M.R.C.P., M.S.
|Hsu, Chen Hsing, M.D.
||Segal, Jonathan H., M.D., M.S.
|Leichtman, Alan B., M.D.
||Swartz, Richard D., M.D.
|Luan, Fu L., M.D.
||Weitzel III, William F., M.D.
|Messana, Joseph M., M.D.
||Young, Eric W., M.D.