Pre-Pregnancy Planning & Diabetes
for diabetic women planning a pregnancy in the next 6-12 months
Jennifer Wyckoff, M.D.
Metabolism, Endocrinology & Diabetes / Podiatry Clinic
Domino's Farms, Lobby C, Suite 1300
4000 Ave Maria Drive [use for map programs and GPS]
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
(enter from west side of Domino's complex, off Ave Maria Drive)
Appointments: (734) 647-5871 or 866-266-5221 (toll-free)
The Pre-Conception Diabetes Care Clinic was started to help women with pre-existing diabetes who are planning pregnancies in the near future (six to 12 months). Research has shown that proper control of blood glucose before conception reduces pregnancy complications in the mother and greatly decrease the rate of serious birth defects in babies. Both of these risks are significantly greater when blood glucose is not kept in check. These complications can be prevented with the proper planning!
The program consists of:
- Pre-conception counseling with individualized recommendations for diabetes care
- Follow-up via monthly visits and phone calls for support in achieving ideal pre-conception glycemic control.
- Referral to the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Clinic for continuing follow-up after pregnancy is achieved.
Topics covered include:
- How diabetes affects pregnancy
- How pregnancy affects diabetes
- Pregnancy nutrition
- Basic diabetes management skills
- How to prevent complications
- Medication safety