Criteria for eligibility are:
- At least 25% clinical effort consistently, preferably at least 50% clinical effort, within the Department of Internal Medicine, and total FTE >50%.
- 7 years as faculty, with at least 4 at the University of Michigan.
- Division chief and peer letters that detail the faculty member's consistent clinical prowess and interactions.
- Outstanding citizenship within the division and department.
- Election into the Society based on materials received.
Membership will be lifetime while in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan. Members will be elected and inaugurated at an annual dinner. Benefits will include website recognition, potential enhancement of annual CME discretionary funds, selection of subsequent members, selection of speaker for annual induction dinner, participation in other functions that the Society initiates, among others. The Department of Internal Medicine will expect members and the Society as a whole to serve as a thought group providing advice on clinical excellence to the department, and to promote clinical excellence throughout the enterprise through example and mentoring.
Nominations for election each year will go through members of the Clinical Excellence Society.