Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship
This page is intended for those interested in the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship program at the University of Michigan. It contains links to forms for applying to the program as well as information about the activities and seminars available.
(Adobe Acrobat Reader required to view documents. Click here to download free software.)
*Currently accepting applications beginning with the 2014-15 academic year.
Applications also accepted through ERAS
The University of Michigan Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program promotes excellence in palliative medicine education through the provision of a variety of clinical, educational and research opportunities in the field. The one-year program allows trainees to acquire clinical expertise in palliative care medicine and prepares them for a career with emphasis in clinical practice. Fellows will be eligible to obtain board certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at the completion of their training.
The curriculum is innovative, comprehensive and will prepare fellows to become knowledgeable and skilled in the clinical, educational, administrative, and research aspects of palliative care. The following educational domains will be strongly emphasized throughout the curriculum:
- The hospice and palliative approach to care
- Death and dying
- Psychosocial and spiritual support
- Bereavement support for the family
- Pain assessment and management in cancer and non-cancer patients
- Assessment and management of non-pain symptoms
- Medical co-morbidities and complications with life-threatening diseases
- Optimizing function as it pertains to quality of life
- Ethical and legal decision making
- Quality improvement and research methodology in populations with advanced illnesses
Clinical rotations and educational experiences will be offered at a variety of settings including inpatient, consultative and ambulatory palliative care services, home hospice, home care, extended care and pediatrics. Elective rotations and research opportunities are also available.
For questions send email to the U-M Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program at GerMedPalliativeApps@umich.edu