How to Apply for Funding
Friends provides funding to U-M Hospitals and Health Centers programs and services that embrace and fulfill its mission of promoting the health, welfare and education of the community.
Past and current recipients of funding include Trail's Edge Camp for ventilator-dependent children, Trauma Burn Community Outreach programs, the Health System Child Care Center, Wilmot House, Transplant House, the Ronald McDonald House, the Depression Education Resource Center, and Gifts of Art programs and more.
Friends funding is open to all units that benefit U-M patients. Funding must be approved by any (or all) of the following: head nurse; project manager; or manager/supervisor. The Friends Funding Committee reviews applications quarterly.
Funding has been granted to support:
- Health education in the community
- Enrichment of the hospital environment
- Off-site and in-house programs for patients
- Construction and equipment used by patients
Friends do not fund fee-generating equipment for the hospitals, direct salary support, materials for the education of hospital staff or research projects. Follow this link for a full description of our funding guidelines.
UMHS Friends Advisory Board Funding Request Form and Instructions
Funding requests are reviewed quarterly and due the first of January, April, July and October.
Other funding sources that may properly fit your request:
Funding requests for printed patient education materials should be made to the Patient Education Advisory Committee which receives an annual Friends grant to cover these needs. For further information visit their website for a PEAC funding application, or contact Maureen Thompson.
Funding requests that are more in line with Fostering Innovative Grants, contact program managers Noura Bashshur or Samantha Bolton 734-647-3089 or FIGs Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding requests for departments that are under the umbrella and/or are partnered with Patient Family Centered Care, contact program managers Kori Jones, Women's and Psychiatry 734-936-0079 or Molly Dwyer-White, Adult Hospitals and Cancer Center 734-232-0259.
Below are friendly reminders regarding the request form:
- The Friends Board wants to make intelligent, fair decisions on funding requests. The more detailed information you provide, the better we can understand the request. Include why this target group/user needs the item, describe the target population and how the item(s) will help. Give an example, provide a picture and/or materials that might assist us. Please attach letters of support or concern.
- Include brand names (if applicable) and detailed description of item(s) as well as quantity and cost per item.
- Friends is trying to be more cost effective so that we can fund as many requests as possible. Therefore, please check with more than one vendor. If you deem one vendor more appropriate than another, please explain why.
- Does the item(s) need to be attached to the wall or cleaned on a regular basis?
- Include any other applicable information.
If you have any questions relating to your request, please call the Friends office: 734-615-6147.