- Research Assistant Professor
- Office: 3608 BSRB
- Engel Lab: 734 615 7248 3608 BSRB
- UMICH Directory (MCommunity)
EducationPH.D. Northwestern University PH.D Dalhouse University
Molecular regulation of hte epithelial morphogenesis in the developing kidney and mammary gland.
How tissue-specific transcription factors contribute to cell fate specification and differentiated function is not well understood. We analyze the role of transcription factor GATA-3 in specifying various tissues during organogenesis, and the role it plays in various differentiation processes. Our interests address both normal and pathophysiological developmental events, and focus specifically on peripheral and central nervous system development, urogenital patterning and differentiation of the breast epithelium. We use gain- and conditional loss-of-function mutations in mice to examine the consequences of GATA-3 forced expression or lack of expression in specific tissues and organs in order to define the epistatic relationships between GATA-3 and upstream, cooperative parallel and downstream effectors.
- James Douglas Engel
Professor and Chair
- Tomonori Hosoya
- Osamu Tanabe
Research Assistant Professor
- Shuaiying Cui
- Bradley Godfrey
- Sakie Hosoya-Ohmura
- Chia-Jui Ku
- Lihong Shi
- Mary Herrmann
Research Lab Technician
- Carmen Yu
Research Lab Technician
- Yu-Hsuan Lin
- Lim, K.C-., Lakshmanan, G., Crawford, S., Gu, Y., Grosveld, F., and J.D. Engel, (2000) Gata3 loss leads to embryonic lethality due to noradrenaline deficiency of the sympathetic nervous system. Nature Genetics 25:209-212
- Takahashi, S., Shimizu, R., Suwabe, N., Kuroha, T., Ohta, J., Nishimura, S., Lim, K.C, Engel, J.D. and M. Yamamoto. Gata factor transgenes under GATA-1 locus control rescue germline GATA-1 mutant deficiencies. Blood 96:910-916
- Lakshmanan, G., Lieuw, K. H., Lim, K.-C, Grosveld, F., Engel, J.D. and A. Karis (1999) Localisation of distant CNS-, endocardial-, and urogenital-specific transcriptional regulatory elements in the GATA-3 locus, Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 1558-1568.
- Zhou, Y., Lim, K.-C, Onodera, K., Takahashi,S., Minigishi, N., Tsai, F.-Y., Orkin, S.H., Yamamoto, M. and J. D. Engel (1998) Rescue of the embryonic lethal hematopoietic defect reveals a critical role for GATA-2 in urogenital development, EMBO J. 18, 66896700.
- Moriguchi, T., Takako, N., Hamada, M., Maeda, A., Fujioka, Y., Kuroha, T., Huber, R.E., Hasegawa, S.L., Rao, A., Yamamoto, M., Takahashi, S., Lim, K.-C. and J. D. Engel, (2006) Gata3 participates in a complex transcriptional feedback network to regulate sympathoadrenal differentiation, Development 133, 3871-81.
- Hasegawa, S.L., Moriguchi, T., Rao, A., Kuroha, T., J. D. Engel and K.-C. Lim (2006) Dosage-dependent rescue of definitive nephrogenesis by a distant Gata3 enhancer, Developmental Biology.